Saturday, September 11, 2004

Adventures in Linux

While trying to rid his PC of spyware and virii, Ryan inadvertantly wiped out some important DLL files, rendering his Windows ME install unusable. Since the hard-drive was ok I was able to boot up the machine with a boot-disk and copy off all his documents, some of which were papers he wrote in college! Satisfied that I had salvaged all the important docs I downloaded a copy of Debian, burned it to a CD and tried to install it. Everything went well until it came time to install a Display Manager. No matter what I did I could not get KDE or GNOME to run properly. After several attempts I gave up and decided to give Mandrake a shot. In contrast to Debian which installs from a small (300MB?) ISO and then downloads the rest of the packages, Mandrake requires 2 Gigs worth of stuff. Anyhow, to make a long story short I finally got Mandrake up and running. I copied Ryan's docs back to the hard-drive and opened up the MS-Word docs with OpenOffice ... and they work fine!

Check out the screenshot, pretty slick, eh? I can't wait to install this on Killy's old PC!

No comments:

Post a Comment