Friday, September 10, 2004

Netflix

This week I broke down and subscribed to Netflix. I'm wary of it in the sense of being wary of tv-time creep: What's next, cable, a Tivo, pay-per-view, WebTV? But at the same time the whole movie rental system is so completely broken that I'm missing a lot of cinema simply because I don't like rental stores and I don't like going to rental stores.



The first set of three DVD's are modern classics, things that I want Amber to see and that I haven't wanted in a long time (Chunking Express and The City of the Lost Children) and something that I probably should have seen but thought it would be unbearably cheesey: Amelié. I recently picked up the Amelié soundtrack and found it a worthy replacement for that 8.5 Souvenirs album, which I typically find too-raucous when I'm in the mood for frenchy-sounding music. I have a feeling that she will like City of the Lost Children, as she liked The Triplets of Belleville, but I'm not as sure about Chunking Express. I think the last time I watched it, a few years back; I had to fast forward through the saccharine parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment